is it ever too late to apologize?

"Apologize for mistakes. Apologize for unintentionally hurting someone -- profusely. But don't apologize for being who you are." -Danielle LaPorte

I am smitten by this quote.  I find it equal parts encouraging and validating with whipped cream and a cherry of truth on top.  It is the bomb. 

Apologize.  Sincerely.  Profusely.  Somehow, the word apology and all that it encompasses and entails has become watered down.  These days apologies come bound with a back hand slap and a hardcore responsibility shrug thrown in for good measure.  What if we really took the initiative to own our stuff?  To say, this is mine.  I own it and if I did it wrong, I apologize and I will do my doggone best to make it right.  When a necessary or overdue apology lingers, it inhibits real relationship, connectivity, love and growth.  These things simply cannot flourish unless forgiveness abounds.  

You see, a sincere and humble apology can begin the healing process. For a severed relationship.  For those who were affected.  For you.  

Sometimes our actions (that later warrant an apology) may be unintentional.  Other times, they may be maliciously intentional. Apologize either way because if it's your dung, you need to claim it before it gets super stinky or rapidly dispersed by the fan.  

credit


"Don't apologize for being who you are."  I'm loving that right now.  I'm living that right now and the wisdom of Dr. Seuss reminds me: the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.  So profound.  So simple.  So true.  I gotta be me and you gotta be you.   Let's remember to ask forgiveness when we need to.  That is all.  xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...